Raisin Region Conservaton Authority (RRCA). Tel: 613-938-3611
ProgramsParks & RecreationPlanning, Regulations & PermitsPublications & FormsContact UsSite Map


The Conservation Authorities Act is the regulatory program which empowers the Conservation Authority to establish regulations dealing with environmental protection.   Under Section 28 of the Conservation Authorities Act, the Raisin Region Conservation Authority (RRCA) administers O. Reg. 175/06 Development, Interference with Wetlands & Alterations to Shorelines & Watercourses  within the RRCA jurisdiction

Applicable Legislation

The Intent of O. Reg. 175/06 Development, Interference with Wetlands & Alteration to Shorelines & Watercourse

The Development, Interference with Wetlands & Alteration to Shorelines and Watercourses Regulation made under the Conservation Authorities Act compliments activities related to the Planning Act where the Provincial Policy Statement cannot be directly applied, for example applications related to:

  • Development and/or site alterations on existing lots of record not requiring a planning application;
  • Septic System Approvals; and
  • Shoreline Protection Works.

In these circumstances, the Province’s natural hazards management program can be implemented and restrictions can be applied through the Conservation Authorities Act, or more specifically O. Reg. 175/06 in order to:

  • Prevent loss of life, minimize property damage and social disruption;
  • Reduce public and private expenditure for emergency operation, evacuation and restoration, and protection measures;
  • Regulate development which, singularly or collectively, impact upon existing flood levels, and increase potential risk to upstream and downstream landowners;
  • Control interference (fill/or drainage) with natural storage areas such as wetlands;
  • Encourage the conservation of land through the control of development on existing or potentially unstable valley slopes or shoreline bluffs; and
  • Control development regarding potential sources of pollution, including but not limited to erosion, sedimentation, the degradation of water resources, etc.

In short, the Planning Act is a tool to proactively identify and regulate hazards through the Planning Process, while the Conservation Authorities Act and the related permit approval process can regulate activities not subject to a planning application. 

RRCA O. Reg. 175/06 Enforceable Area

Based on existing staff and financial resources, the RRCA currently enforces O. Reg. 175/06 along the St. Lawrence River System and Hoople Creek.  
The straightening, changing, diverting or interfering in any way with the existing channel of any river, creek, stream or watercourse is also enforced throughout the entire RRCA watershed jurisdiction.

RRCA Permission – Do I require a Permit?

Permission within the enforceable area is required from the RRCA prior to undertaking:

  • Any Construction, reconstruction, erection or placing of a building or structure of any kind;
  • Any change to a building or structure that would have the effect of altering the use or potential use of the building or structure, increasing the size of the building or structure or increasing the number of dwelling units in the building or structure;
  • Site grading;
  • The temporary or permanent placing, dumping or removal of any material, originating on the site or elsewhere; and
  • Changing or interfering with a Provincially Significant Wetland (including other adjacent lands within 120 m of the wetland boundary).

Contact Us

If you suspect your property is located within a regulated RRCA area and you would like to undertake any of the above noted activities, please contact the RRCA for information on the permit and approvals process or please forward a completed permit application (click here for permit)  to the Raisin Region Conservation Authority.
If you don`t call or you proceed with the work without an approval you may be forced by law to remove the work and/or you may be fined.

For building projects such as above & below ground structures, site alterations and grading and for in-water works such as shoreline protection, docks, dredging, culverts, bridges, crossings, boathouses, etc please call the office @ 613-938-3611 and ask for the Planning and Regulations Department.

Home of the Raisin River Canoe Race
Forms and Fees
Order your trees today
Source Water Protection
St. Lawrence River Restoration Council
Click for Flood Status
Click for Low Water Status
Conservation Ontario
Municipal Partners

Raisin Region Conservation Authority
18045 County Road #2, P.O. Box 429, Cornwall, ON, K6H 5T2
Tel. 613-938-3611   Fax. 613-938-3221